was founded in 1925 on Swans island, in the middle of the first
lake, with only two owls and three foxes. Founder of the ZOO
was civil engineer Mijo Filipović. Vjekoslav Heinzel, Zagreb
's major at that time entrusted him with adaptation of Park Maksimir.
In two years of its existence Swan's lake became too small, and
the ZOO spread out to the large peninsula, as well. It occupies
that same 7 ha area today.
/ Zagreb city
ZOO, source: archive PIM /